• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español


Calculate-Pain.jpg After an accident caused by someone else's carelessness, you may lose wages or income because you can't work, and you may have unreimbursed medical expenses. Those damages are easy to determine, though, because they are easily measured. You are also entitled to compensation for physical pain and suffering, a less tangible loss. What exactly is "pain and suffering" and how will the court calculate the total damages for pain and suffering?

The first thing to understand, as we explained in an earlier blog, is that there are two general categories of compensatory damages-economic and non-economic damages. Those losses that are easily measured, such as lost paychecks or medical expenses, are known as economic damages. Those damages that are not readily identifiable, including pain and suffering, are referred to as non-economic damages.

When you have experienced debilitating pain, you can typically seek compensation for the ways it has impacted your life. That may be in the form of physical pain or mental pain/anguish. You can seek damages for pain and suffering that you have already experienced, as well as pain and suffering you expect to experience in the future. Mental pain and suffering can take many different forms, such as anxiety, anger, embarrassment, depression and fear. The courts traditionally consider some amount of mental/emotional pain and suffering as a consequence of any physical injury or loss.

Let's look at an example. Suppose you are in a car accident caused by someone else running a stop sign. You sustain torn ligaments in your left knee and require surgery. After the surgery, while you are healing, you change your gait and develop plantar fasciitis, making it difficult to walk. Because of your physical difficulties, you go out less, but that also makes you depressed. You may be able to recover for the impact the depression has had on your life, as well as any physical injuries caused by the defendant.


Don't ignore a personal injury, regardless of how insignificant it may seem. We offer a free initial consultation to anyone in New Jersey who has been a victim of a personal injury. For a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 (toll free at ) for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions