• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español



If you have been hurt in an accident caused by the carelessness or negligence of another person, you have a right to bring a personal injury action to recover for any losses you've experienced. In most instances, it's a matter of identifying who caused the accident and filing a lawsuit against that person. However, when the wrongdoer was a government worker or the harm was caused by a government agency or entity, there are specific steps you must take to protect your rights.

In New Jersey, a personal injury action where the defendant is a government employee or entity must be filed under the New Jersey Tort Claims Act (TCA). In general, the TCA provides for immunity from civil litigation for certain "sovereign" or governmental personnel or entities. This is a carryover of longstanding rules protecting governmental bodies from litigation.

There are, however, exceptions to the "sovereign immunity" provisions of the Tort Claims Act. Specifically, the TCA allows a governmental organization or entity to be civilly liable for the actions of employees "within the scope of employment in the same manner and to the same extent as a private individual under like circumstances." So, as a general rule, if you could bring a lawsuit against a private individual who engaged in the same conduct, you can also sue a governmental body or employee.

The most important thing to understand, however, about filing under the TCA is that you must do so within 90 days of the accident. Once your claim is filed, the state has a similar period of time (90 days) to accept or reject your petition.


We offer a free initial consultation to anyone who has suffered any type of loss or injury as a result of the carelessness or negligence of another person. To set up a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333(toll free at ) for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions