• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español

Third Party Personal Injury Claims When You Are Hurt at Work


In many instances, when you are injured on the job, your first and only avenue for recovery of any losses is through a workers' compensation claim. There are exceptions, though-what are known as "third party injury claims." Here's how such a claim can be filed.

Under the workers' compensation laws, a workers' compensation claim is the exclusive remedy for any injuries caused by the carelessness/negligence of an employer or a co-worker. The workers' compensation laws are not, however, intended to compensate you for injuries caused by the wrongdoing of someone other than your employer or a co-employer. Some common situations where workers are hurt by so-called "third parties" include:

  • Injuries suffered because of the negligent design, manufacture or marketing of a tool, machine or piece of equipment-essentially a product defect
  • Injuries caused in a motor vehicle accident during the course of employment, but involving the negligence or carelessness of a third party
  • Injuries caused by customers, vendors, suppliers or parties on adjacent property
  • Slips and falls on property not owned by your employer while in the course of your employment

With any injuries not caused by your employer or a co-employee, you can seek unlimited damages in a lawsuit in court. However, you will be subject to the timetables set by the courts. You may file both a workers' compensation claim and a personal injury lawsuit simultaneously, but you cannot recover compensation in both proceedings for the same losses. For example, if your workers' compensation benefits pay for all your medical expenses, you cannot seek reimbursement of medical expenses in a personal injury lawsuit.

Contact the Law Offices of Mallon & Tranger

To learn how we can help you if you have been the victim of a workplace accident, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 (toll free at ). There is no charge for your first meeting. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions