Aggressively Fighting For Your Rights

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Law
  4.  » Weapons Violations

Weapons Violations

On Behalf of | Jul 1, 2011 | Criminal Law

When you face weapons charges, there are specific steps you can take to protect your interests. Even though the process can be confusing and intimidating, an experienced lawyer can protect your rights and help you minimize the consequences of an arrest or prosecution. This blog post offers basic steps you can follow to protect your constitutional rights.

At the Law Offices of Mallon & Tranger, we aggressively protect the rights of people facing weapons charges. We will conduct a thorough investigation of the facts and circumstances of your case, gathering and assessing the strength of all evidence for and against you. We will prepare and file all documents required by the courts, and will be your voice in all hearings or proceedings. Contact our office by e-mail or call us at 732-702-0333 for an appointment.

Don’t Talk to Police or Prosecutors without Your Attorney Present

Whether you are being questioned by police or they have taken you into custody, you have the right to remain silent, and to have your lawyer present. Don’t be fooled by the different tactics they will use to try to get you to talk. They may tell you that they have your best interests at heart, or that your situation will get much worse if you don’t talk. This is usually a trap. They are just fishing for potentially damaging evidence against you. Request the opportunity to consult with counsel and don’t say anything unless your lawyer tells you that you can. If the police have come to your residence, tell them they must stay outside if you need to go into the house to call your attorney.

Ask for a Copy of the Warrant

The 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibits the use of evidence gained from an unreasonable search or seizure. If you voluntarily allow the police into your home, they can take as evidence anything that is within plain sight. Before you let them in, demand to see a warrant. If they don’t have one, you can ask them to leave your property until they do. Don’t be fooled or intimidated into letting them come in without a warrant. You have the right to deny their request to enter your home. Don’t make their job easier by unnecessarily waiving your rights.

Don’t Admit Anything

When the evidence against you seems overwhelming, you may be inclined to confess and throw yourself at the mercy of the court. This is never a good strategy. Instead, you are better off hiring an experienced attorney, someone who can determine whether evidence was improperly obtained, or your constitutional rights were otherwise violated, and seek to have the charges dropped.

Contact Mallon & Tranger

We offer a free initial consultation to people under investigation for or charged with weapons violations. For an appointment, contact our office online or call us at 732-702-0333 for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold and Point Pleasant.