A Law Firm Where Results Matter

Answering Your Workers’ Comp Questions

If you have been hurt at work, your physical injuries may not be your only concern. You may delay filing for workers’ compensation benefits because you have many questions about the filing process and your job security. This decision could have a serious impact on your health and long-term employment opportunities.

At The Law Office of Mallon & Tranger, we realize that you may have more questions than answers after your workplace injury. We have helped countless workers in Monmouth and Ocean counties and across New Jersey receive the benefits they deserve, and we want to help you, too.

We invite you to read our answers to frequently asked workers’ compensation questions so that you know your rights and options before you take action. Then, contact our office to arrange your free, no-obligation case evaluation.

What should I do after I have been hurt at work?

If you have been severely hurt on the job site, it is important to get medical help right away. If your injuries do not pose an immediate risk to your health, you need to report them to your supervisor, manager or another person in a position of authority at your job. Your notice does not have to be written.

Do I have to see the doctor selected by my employer?

If you need to see a doctor for your injuries, you must inform your employer that you need medical treatment. Your employer or your employer’s insurance carrier is allowed to choose the health care provider you will need to see for your injuries.

If your employer does not give you a list of approved health care providers, you may be able to see your own doctor for your work injury. It is important to note that if you receive treatment from an unapproved provider, you could jeopardize your claim.

You should consult with one of our attorneys if you are unsure of your options.

Can my employer retaliate against me for filing a claim?

New Jersey law prohibits employers from firing employees for filing workers’ compensation claims. In addition, your position cannot be terminated if you testify at a hearing for a claim.

How long must I wait after I get injured before I can recover benefits?

In New Jersey, you need to be unable to fulfill your duties for seven days before you can receive temporary disability benefits. This seven-day period can include weekends and holidays. You do not need to take seven days off consecutively to recover temporary disability benefits.

This waiting period does not apply to injured workers applying for permanent disability benefits or medical benefits.

What should I do if the insurance company or my employer denies my claim?

Unfortunately, benefits claims are often denied. New Jersey workers can appeal decisions by requesting a hearing or filing a petition. The workers’ compensation division reviews these applications. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing injured workers in appeals. We are intimately familiar with this process and know how to create a strong case to support your claim.

Do You Have Other Questions? Contact Us To Get The Answers You Need.

Do not risk making a mistake that could cost you. You can easily reach a qualified workers’ compensation attorney online or over the phone at 732-702-0333. We offer free, informational assessments to injured New Jersey workers. Our offices are conveniently located in Freehold and Point Pleasant. Se habla español.