• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español



In the first blog in this series, we looked at the concept of wrongful death. We identified it as a right to legal recourse when the wrongful action of another person causes someone's death. But are there limits to who may sue for the accidental death of another person? Can you seek compensation for the wrongful death of your best friend, or of a business partner?


As with any type of personal injury lawsuit, a person who files a lawsuit seeking compensation (known under the law as the "plaintiff") must be what the law considers a "real party in interest." Typically, a wrongful death complaint is filed by a representative of all survivors have suffered some type of loss because of the death. That person is often the executor of the deceased's estate, but the lawsuit may be brought by anyone who qualifies as a real party in interest.

Typically, whether or not a person qualifies as a real party in interest is set forth in state wrongful death statutes. In New Jersey, a wrongful death action may be brought by any of the following:

· The surviving spouse

· A child or grandchild of the deceased

· A surviving parent of the deceased

· Surviving siblings, nieces and nephews of the decedent

• Individuals who can prove in a court of law that they were "actually dependent" on the deceased

There is a hierarchy of recovery in a wrongful death action. As a general rule, if there is a surviving spouse or children, they are entitled to all the proceeds of a wrongful death action. Parents only have a right to compensation if there is no surviving spouse and no children. Siblings, nieces and nephews can only receive a damage award if there's no spouse, children or parents surviving the deceased. Even though the lawsuit will typically be filed by one person as representative of all surviving family members, any proceeds are divided equally among those who qualify as real parties in interest, as set forth above.


We offer a free initial consultation to anyone in New Jersey who has lost a loved one because of the wrongful conduct of another person. To set up a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 (toll free at ) for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions