When you’ve been hurt because of the carelessness or negligence of another person, you have the right to seek monetary compensation for a wide range of losses, from the wages and income you cannot earn to any medical expenses not covered by insurance. You can also seek a damage award for the loss of companionship or consortium resulting from your injuries, for the loss of enjoyment of any activities in which you can no longer partake due to your injuries, and for any pain and suffering you have experienced or will experience in the future. In this blog, we take a closer look at how the law views damages for “pain and suffering.”

At the Law Offices of Mallon & Tranger, we provide comprehensive counsel to people who have suffered any type of injury on the job. If you have any concerns or questions about your rights after being hurt at work, contact our office by e-mail or call us at 732-702-0333 (toll free at ). Your first consultation is free.


When you file a personal injury claim, there are two ways that you can seek compensation for pain and suffering-for any physical pain and suffering, and for any emotional/mental pain and suffering. Though you’ll always be able to pursue compensation for any visceral reaction to an injury-inflamed nerves that send pain sensations to your brain-physical pain and suffering includes more than that. If your injuries cause numbness, loss of feeling or place limitations on your physical mobility or actions, that can also constitute pain and suffering.

Emotional or mental pain and suffering, on the other hand, focuses on your thought processes and how your accident leads to mental challenges. This may include depression, anxiety, fear, anger or listlessness.


We offer a free initial consultation to people in New Jersey who have been hurt because of the carelessness or negligence of another person. For an appointment, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 (toll free at ). We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.