In the aftermath of an accident, when you can’t work and you need extensive medical treatment, you can feel a lot of anxiety about financial matters. You may be uncertain what will be included in a personal injury claim, what types of losses you can expect the defendant to cover.

In any legal action to get compensation for losses caused by someone else’s carelessness or negligence, the financial recovery you are entitled to is customarily referred to as damages. The law generally allows two types of damages-compensatory damages and punitive damages. As a practical matter, most damages are compensatory-designed to compensate or reimburse you for a specific loss or injury. Punitive damages, intended both to punish the wrongdoer and to serve as a disincentive to others, are only awarded when you can prove that the defendant acted intentionally or with reckless disregard for the safety of others.

Compensatory damages are further subdivided between economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are those that are relatively simple to put a value to, typically tied to a tangible or discernible loss, such as wages, medical expenses or the cost of retrofitting your home or auto to accommodate your disability or injury. Non-economic damages are less tangible and more speculative, but nonetheless available. Examples include compensation for physical pain and suffering, loss of consortium or companionship, or loss of enjoyment of life (where your injury prevents you from doing things you used to do).


We offer a free initial consultation to anyone who has suffered any type of loss or injury as a result of the carelessness or negligence of another person. To set up a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333(toll free at) for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.