• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español


If your loved one has died because of the carelessness or negligence of another person, you have a right to pursue compensation for your losses. A lawsuit can't bring your loved one back, but it can minimize the financial hardship you suffer as a result.


To file a wrongful death claim, you must have "standing," a legal term that means you must have had something at stake, that the person's death will have a direct impact on you, either financially or emotionally. The laws vary from state to state as to who has standing in such a case. The wrongful death action is typically filed by the executor of the estate of the decedent, on behalf of what are known as "real parties in interest."

Every state considers immediate family members-spouses, children and parents-to be real parties in interest. Many states also grant similar status to life partners, financial dependents and common law (known as "putative") spouses. A few states allow siblings, grandparents and other distant relatives to file a wrongful death claim, and a handful allow anyone who has suffered financially to take legal action.


In a wrongful death action, you can recover compensation for any out-of-pocket or actual costs. This may include medical expenses before death, as well as funeral/burial costs. Survivors can generally seek compensation for loss of support and job-related benefits, loss of an inheritance and loss of the value of goods and services the decedent would have supplied.

Survivors may also seek damages for mental pain and suffering, the loss of care, guidance and protection, and the loss of consortium or companionship with a spouse.


We offer a free initial consultation to anyone in New Jersey with a potential wrongful death claim. For a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions