• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español


In the first two parts of this overview of negligence, we talked about the standard of care and about causation. Before you can get any kind of monetary award after suffering a personal injury, you must first show that the defendant failed to (or breached) a duty to act as a reasonable person under the circumstances. You must then show that the defendant's breach actually caused an accident that the losses you suffered were reasonably foreseeable. But that's still not enough to warrant financial recovery in a personal injury lawsuit. You must also show that you had actual losses.What-is-Negligence--Part-3--Did-You-Suffer-a-Loss-300x200.jpg

At first glance, it may seem redundant or even obvious-assume someone runs a stop sign and hits your car. There must be some kind of loss, right? Not necessarily.

Let's look at the nature of your injuries and losses. Suppose the other car just barely makes contact with your car. Here are some of the questions that will be asked:

  • Did you lose any time at work, or any wages or income because of the accident?
  • Did you have any medical expenses because of the accident?
  • Did you experience any pain or suffering because of the accident? What form did it take?
  • Did you suffer loss of companionship due to your injuries?
  • Was there any damage to your vehicle that needed to be fixed?

If the answer is no to all of these questions, then you can successfully show that the defendant breached the standard of care, that it cause an accident, but you won't be able to show that you've lost anything as a result.

Contact the Law Offices of Mallon & Tranger

To learn how we can help you if you have been injured, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 (toll free at ). There is no charge for your first meeting. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions