• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español



When a machine malfunctions at work and you are injured, there seems no question that you are entitled to workers' compensation benefits for lost wages, medical expenses and rehabilitation. If the wrongful conduct of another employee causes you injury, you can also seek compensation for your losses. But what if you are injured in a car or motor vehicle accident, especially when the person causing the accident is unrelated to your employer? The good news-if you meet certain conditions, you have a right to workers' compensation benefits. You may even be able to seek damages in addition to workers' compensation benefits.

At the Law Offices of Mallon & Tranger, we advocate for people who have been hurt at work. To schedule a private meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333. Your first consultation is free.


Under New Jersey law, if you were performing a job-related task while traveling in a motor vehicle, you will likely be able to recover workers' compensation benefits if you are injured on the road because of someone else's carelessness or negligence. If you are required to drive as a part of your employment, or if your employer asked you to travel to or from a particular location, any injuries sustained in an accident will be covered, unless your employer can show that you took an unnecessary detour to attend to personal business.

It is not necessary that you demonstrate that the route you took was the most direct route. You need only show that the path you took was reasonable. For example, if you took back roads to avoid traffic congestion, your employer cannot argue that you should not have been there, and are not entitled to benefits. If, however, your employer can show that you did not take the most reasonable route, and that you did so for strictly personal reasons (to stop to see a friend or to pick up an unnecessary personal item), you may not be able to recover workers' compensation benefits.

Workers' compensation benefits are designed to replace compensation you would have received for the wrongful acts of your employer or a co-worker. If you are injured by an unrelated third party, such as the driver of another vehicle, your claim against that driver is not limited by workers' compensation laws. You can file what is known as a "third party claim," seeking damages in court for your losses.


We offer a free initial consultation to people in New Jersey who have suffered a personal injury related to work. To set up a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions