WHAT TYPES OF INJURIES ARE COVERED BY WORKERS’ COMPENSATION LAWS?
When you have been hurt on the job, one of the first questions you want answered is whether your injury is one that is covered by the state’s workers’ compensation laws, so that you can secure benefits for lost wages, medical expenses, and rehabilitation or physical therapy.
At the Law Offices of Mallon & Tranger, our attorneys provide comprehensive counsel to people who have been injured on the job. For a free initial consultation, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333.
Essentially, any physical injury sustained on the job entitles you to workers’ compensation benefits. Depending on the duties you perform, this can include joint or muscle injury, cuts, abrasions, or repetitive stress/motion injuries, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or certain forms of tendonitis. You may also be able to recover compensation for illness arising out of exposure to dangerous or unhealthy conditions at work. A pre-existing condition will not entitle you to compensation, unless you can show that it was aggravated by your current job.
SPECIFIC TYPES OF INJURIES COVERED INCLUDE:
- Traumatic brain injury or spinal cord trauma
- Head, back or neck injury
- Knee, elbow, shoulder, hip, ankle or wrist injury
- Broken bones
- Loss of sight or hearing
- Scarring or permanent disfigurement
- Amputation or loss of limb
- Wrongful death
SPECIFIC INJURIES THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY WORKERS’ COMPENSATION
Not all workplace injuries entitle you to benefits under the New Jersey workers’ compensation statute. You may not recover compensation if your injuries resulted from:
- Your participation in actions that violated the law
- Your use of alcohol or illegal drugs
- An attack by a co-worker unrelated to your job, or to the performance of any duties related to your job
- An attack by someone not working for your employer, for reasons not associated with your employment
- Your own attempts to injure yourself
CONTACT The Law Office of Mallon & Tranger
We offer a free initial consultation to people in New Jersey who have suffered a workplace injury. To set up a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.