• Free Consultations Available
  • Call 732-702-0333 Today
  • Se habla Español

Mallon & Tranger -- Police Brutality

To protect and to serve - that's what police are supposed to do. Unfortunately, the police force attracts individuals who thrive on the power the badge gives them, and who often lack the compassion and reason necessary to resolve a confrontation without using excessive force. If you have been the victim of police brutality, you have a right to seek legal action to recover compensation for the wrong done to you. You want an experienced and aggressive lawyer to protect your interests.

At the Law Offices of Mallon & Tranger, we have extensive experience protecting the rights of people who have been victims of unnecessary force or brutality by law enforcement officers. To schedule a private meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333. Your first consultation is free.

The Many Faces of Police Brutality

Though police officers, including sheriffs, detectives and deputies, are often authorized to use force to resolve a situation, the use of excessive force is considered to be in violation of both the 5th and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution. Nonetheless, there are frequent circumstances in which law enforcement officers exceed the force necessary to diffuse a situation. This can include:

  • Unnecessary choking or choke holds
  • Using Tasers, teargas or pepper spray in nonthreatening situations
  • Unnecessary use of batons, fists or other objects
  • Kicking suspects or detainees
  • Tackling, tripping, shoving or slamming a suspect into any object, from a vehicle to a wall to the ground
  • Use of attack dogs
  • Illegally detaining a person or arresting someone without probable cause

When You Have Been a Victim of Police Brutality

If you have been mistreated by a police or law enforcement officer, your first step should probably be to contact an attorney. You will also want to go directly to the police department and report the incident. The police department should be monitoring the conduct of its officers and should conduct an investigation. You should know, however, there's something known as the "Blue Code of Silence," where police officers are reluctant to testify against other officers. Even if the police department conducts an investigation, it will be your word against the police officer's. Nonetheless, the police department may suspend the officer pending the outcome of investigation if they believe that your story has credibility.

You will also want to identify all potential witnesses and obtain their names and contact information. Your attorney will interview all witnesses to determine the strengths and weaknesses of your case.

Contact Mallon & Tranger

We offer a free initial consultation to people in New Jersey who have been victims of police brutality. To set up a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-702-0333 for an appointment. We have offices in Freehold, Toms River and Point Pleasant.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Each and every case that we take gets our full attention. When you hire us, you know you have experienced
attorneys doing everything we can to put you and your case in the best possible position for a positive resolution.

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Freehold map image
Toms River map image
Point Pleasant map image

86 Court Street
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Freehold Law Office Map

Point Pleasant
3247 Route 88
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions

Toms River
250 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753

Phone: 732-702-0333
Fax: 732-780-5002
Map & Directions